Cost of International Volunteering

weltwärts is open to everyone - irrespective of their financial means. The programme receives up to 75 percent of its funding from the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The remaining 25 percent has to be supplied by the implementing organisations. Nobody involved in weltwärts makes any money from the programme. All weltwärts organisations are non-profit-making and there are lots of people who work for free to support weltwärts.

How much will volunteering with weltwaerts cost?

Apart from volunteers’ travel expenses, the weltwärts programme provides funding for accommodation and meals and a monthly allowance. If you use public transport for your daily commute to your place of assignment, you’ll be given a ticket or be reimbursed. Any vaccinations required by your place of assignment are covered too. It is also possible to apply for funding for any additional inclusion needs, i.e. if you have an impairment or a disability and require specific medical aids or a personal assistant on a day-to-day basis, these expenses will be paid too.

A young volunteer with a rucksack, viewed from behind. He is on a hill, looking at the expanse beneath.


You are insured through your sending organisation during your voluntary service. The cover includes:

  1. Health and accident insurance. If you have an accident or an acute illness, you can obtain treatment in Germany without incurring any costs. In some cases, you may have to pay part of the cost of any medication you require.
  2. Liability insurance. To cover you for any material damage you cause.

What do I have to pay for?

  1. A passport, if you haven’t already got one. (Make sure you apply for it at an early stage.)
  2. Luggage insurance if you want it.

weltwärts covers the following costs:

  • Travel
  • Vaccinations
  • Accommodation
  • Meals
  • Allowances
  • Insurance
  • Seminars
  • Any additional inclusion needs

Quality and safety matters

Quality and safety have the utmost priority at weltwärts. The German implementing organisations are carefully chosen and assessed and have to comply with a range of quality standards.