Requirements for participation in the volunteer service
So you want to take part in weltwärts or are at least very keen to learn more and want to know what the requirements are? Read on to find out.
- Citizenship of a country that’s currently on the DAC list
- At least 18 and no more than 28 years of age or 35 if you have an impairment or disability.
- Suitable state of health for voluntary service in Germany
- A school-leaving qualification, vocational training or similar experience gained, for example, on internships or volunteering schemes
- An appropriate visa for your stay in Germany. The host organisation in Germany and sending organisation in your home country will help you apply for one.
Required personal and social skills
- Team skills
- Willingness to learn
- Willingness to get involved in civic engagement and to explore development issues
- Basic knowledge of German or a willingness to learn the language
Remember: During your assignment, you’ll constantly be confronted by new things that you don’t understand straight away. That’s why you’ll also need patience and the ability to treat others with respect and tolerance.