Projects under weltwärts Exchange Projects receive funding from the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) for up to 75 percent of their overall expenditure.
Terms and Conditions
Projects under weltwärts Exchange Projects can be funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) by means of non-repayable grants covering part of the required funds (up to 75 percent of the overall expenditure). “Overall project expenditure” means all project-related, verifiable expenses in Germany and the partner country incurred for the purpose set out in the agreement in the preparation, implementation and follow-up phases.
The funding is provided on the basis of an agreement under private law between
- Engagement Global gGmbH (grant donor),
- the German project partner (grant recipient) and
- the exchange project partner (application partner).
In addition to the expenses incurred during the two exchange visits,
- expenditure on suitable educational support,
- preparation and follow-up, PR work and
- documentation of the project
can be funded through weltwärts Exchange Projects. In line with the principle of partnership, expenditure should be balanced between the project partners.
In individual cases, funding for special costs can be provided, for example for young persons with an impairment (funding for additional transport costs and accessible infrastructure) or where more intensive educational measures are required.
All eligible expense items can be found in the notes on how to complete the expenditure and financing plan.
How to fill in the Cost budget and financing plan (XLSX, 878,0 KB)
Financing to be secured by project partners
Financing for at least 25 percent of the overall expenditure must be secured by the project partners themselves. One way of doing is to use third-party funds as long as they do not come from Germany’s Federal Government. The third-party funds must be reported in the expenditure and financing plan.
The agreement on the implementation of a weltwärts Exchange Project comes into effect once the on-lending agreement has been signed by Engagement Global and the project partners. From then on, funds can be requested.
Sample forwarding agreement (PDF, 536,7 KB)
- Depending on the needs of the project, funds can be requested several times during the project. It should be noted, however, that any funds requested must be spent within six weeks (in Germany) or four months (other countries).
- Funds for a budget year can be requested by no later than 5 December of that year. They must be spent by 31 December.
- Any unspent funds must be returned without you being asked to do so. Please send a short email to inform us. The address is: